Re: Testers for LCD Panel Self Refresh on laptops with Intel graphics wanted

Hi Andrew,

On 05-02-18 23:02, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

For the "Improved Laptop Battery Life" feature:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ImprovedLaptopBatteryLife

I'm working on for Fedora 28 I would like to also try and enable
Panel Self Refresh on laptops with Intel graphics, some quick tests
have shown this to save another 0.5W (when idle / nothing on the
screen changes). This is currently off be default because it is
known to cause issues on some devices. So I think we will probably
need a white- or black-list. But first we need more data on this.

If you can spare 10 minutes, please see my blogpost for how to test
this and send me a mail with the info request in the blogpost:
https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/18653.html

I suspect that the results may be odd.  After falling into a rabbit
hole when I tried to do this test, I learned a few things about the
i915 driver's PSR support:

  - Intel doesn't currently have any working CI coverage for PSR.

  - There's an Intel person who seems to be actively trying to fix PSR.

  - PSR on 4.15 on newish hardware (at least Skylake) is completely broken.

  - There are other known bugs.

So I'm not sure that trying to tabulate PSR functionality based on
panel type seems like it may be the wrong approach.

Thank you for your poking around wrt this. Can you send me an (off-list)
email with the contact info for the Intel person you are talking about,
before spending more time on this I would like to touch base with him/her.

Regards,

Hans