Re: gnome crashes after today upgrade

On 4 February 2018 at 01:51, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tomasz Kłoczko writes:

On 3 February 2018 at 22:55, Richard Shaw <<URL:mailto:hobbes1069@gmail.com>hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   Any news on the cause? I'm waiting to update until this is figured out...

Still don't see any update about the issue.
It is really pain in the a*s that Linux still has no good support to handle

One option that's available to you is to switch to another desktop. No issues here, whatsoever, on my XFCE desktop.

I replaced Gnome with XFCE on all my desktops a number of years ago, and haven't looked back.

I gave the chance for xfce and here are some my conclusions:
- Pros:
-- much lower memory consumption. Difference is about 1.2GB less RAM. On one of my laptops with only 8GB RAM it makes really big difference

- Cons:
-- after only 3-4h on m primary desktop I've been able to collect descent number of core files

# ls -la /var/lib/systemd/coredump/*
-rw-r-----+ 1 root root 1628938240 Feb  6 03:28 /var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.chrome.1000.9b34b2ba89514d86a302484519bf2a53.14303.1517887637000000
-rw-r-----+ 1 root root   37933056 Feb  6 04:10 /var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.mission-control.1000.ad37f99486c24da58887b80804c84322.9243.1517890233000000
-rw-r-----+ 1 root root   28282880 Feb  6 03:34 /var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.xfce4-notifyd.1000.ad37f99486c24da58887b80804c84322.2398.1517888039000000
-rw-r-----+ 1 root root   32505856 Feb  6 04:27 /var/lib/systemd/coredump/core.xfce4-notifyd.1000.ad37f99486c24da58887b80804c84322.5645.1517891258000000

and only this does not look good :/
Chrome as usually is affected by memory leaks which are causing that on some web pages suddenly some chrome process suddenly puffs and crashes by passing max memory limit. Of course this issue has nothing to do with xfce.
Other cores may be caused by the same cause(s) which is(are) now affecting Gnome desktop.

-- xfce needs a lot of work
--- base @Xfce kickstart group drags a lot of dependencies which are not essential. It wold be IMO good to create something @Xfce-minimal group
--- I've installed xfce by choosing initially set of packages and I've anup on desktop without window manage so it wold be good to add to one of the core xfce package "Require: windowmanager" and add to all packages "Provides: windowmanager" if xfce can be used without xfwm4 or add straight Requires: xfwm4
My my minimal set of xfce packages:

libxfce4ui
libxfce4util
xfce4-appfinder
xfce4-notifyd
xfce4-panel
xfce4-power-manager
xfce4-screenshooter
xfce4-session
xfce4-session-engines
xfce4-settings
xfce4-taskmanager
xfce4-terminal
xfce4-xkb-plugin
xfce-polkit
xfconf
xfdesktop
xfwm4

I'm opened on any suggestions about what more could be added to such set :)

-- trying to launch any gnome application still is affected by already discussed in this thread issues.
--- it is not possible to tart working wit xfce desktop because during first time xfce start it is necessary to answer on few questions. I thing that it is generally wrong strategy because everything should start with some default settings. Whatever someone will like/dislike still is possible to customize later.
--- I think that it wold be really good to prepare initial default desktop layout to mimic default Gnome desktop. This wold make migration from Gnome to xfce much smoother.

-- I thing that using xfce4 in many packages should be replaced by just xfce This will make future transitions to next major version easier. I see that already some number of xfce packages is not using this "4" in package names.

- Other:
Looks like changing xkb keyboard layout which started with crashing gnome-shell under gome is not caused by gnome-shell but by gdm issue. from logs:

Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: (**) Option "xkb_layout" "pl,gb,us"
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: (**) Option "xkb_variant" ",,"
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: syntax error: line 500 of pl
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: > Error:            Error interpreting include file "pl"
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: >                   Exiting
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: (EE) Error loading keymap /tmp/server-0.xkm
Feb 06 03:45:43 domek /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5448]: (EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap instead.

Cannot find which one xkb map is used in above case. After uncompressing /lib/kbd/keymaps/xkb/pl.map.gz I see that this file has only 199 lines so this error message must be about some other (text?) file. So Still I cannot change keyboard layout to pl :/

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH