Re: F27 strange rpmbuild failure

On 02/04/2018 10:08 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:

On 04/02/18 21:36, Steve Grubb wrote:
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:29:26 PM EST Alec Leamas wrote:

Many questions here, and a large package. Still, searching the logs I
cannot see any python files - are there any such at all?

None at all. Its all java, javascript, R, and ELF files.

If not, perhaps  you could disable the byte compulation as described in
[1]?

Bingo! That fixed the build...which leads to the question of why is that
failing?

I think the basic answer is that the byte comoilation script is using
all sorts of strange heuristics. It seems that it determined a that a
non-python file was python.

Efforts are under way to redefine things and make the byte compilation
more explicit. Until this is done, this is probably not the last error
of this sort.

In other words, it's sort of a known bug with fixes under way, slowly...

I'd like to make sure any Python-related automation is limited to Python context (/usr/lib*/python*, files with python shebangs, etc.). I'm not sure why it's not this way now.

We're preparing a Change to fix this exact issue in Fedora 29. Started just last week, actually:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/No_more_automagic_Python_bytecompilation

Up to this point I thought this was just a theoretical issue. Thank you for finding a concrete example -- and sorry it had to be you!

--
Petr Viktorin