Re: Ambiguous python version in waf

> On 02/05/2018 09:32 AM, Guido Aulisi wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> according to latest python guides, we should avoid calling generic
>> unversioned python command
>>
>> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Avoid_usr_bin_python_in_RPM_Build#Quick_Opt-Out)
>>
>> But what should we do if it's called inside waf? waf is provided
>> upstream, should we patch it to call either python2 or python3, or use
>> PYTHON_DISALLOW_AMBIGUOUS_VERSION=0?
>>
>> I got this problem in recent ardour5 rawhide builds
>> (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/package/ardour5?collection=f28).
>> Now I'm seeing that builds are back to normal and python2 has been
>> downgraded.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Thanks for the question, and sorry for the inconvenience!
>
> The python2 message is, so far, only a warning. I see the log contains a
> different error: "--freedesktop requires itstool > 2.0.0 to translate
> files.".
> Could you check if that's not causing the failure?

I found that the check for itstool fails because it gets the
deprecation warning as input, there's a mistake in
output = subprocess.Popen("itstool --version", shell=True,
stderr=subprocess.STDOUT,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0].splitlines()
stderr is redirected to stdout, so itstool gets DEPRECATION and
version [u'WARNING:']
I will report this upstream, it seems to me that the redirection of
stderr is a mistake.

> If the python2 message is breaking your build, then please file a bug and
> set an environment variable, as described in the Change. (Do file the bug,
> though – that ensures we'll contact you before we remove the workaround.)

> Background:
>
> We do want everyone to avoid calling /usr/bin/python, but we realize it's
> not always easy. That's why we added the warning -- it will allow us to grep
> the logs to figure out what is using it (and why). And of course, in simple
> cases it can be fixed right away.
> Some tools do fail if there's extra output on stderr; that's the reason for
> the "Quick Opt-Out" workaround.
>
> It looks like waf will be one of the tougher things to figure out. After the
> mass rebuild we'll see the effect on the whole distribution, and hopefully
> come up with a better strategy for bundled waf.

I will file a bug for waf, if it's the correct thing to do.

> --
> Petr Viktorin

Many thanks for your reply

Guido Aulisi