FYI: Fedora/RISC-V third and final bootstrap

About a month ago I posted about the state of the RISC-V architecture
for Fedora:

  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/EYY4TFJTV66EAG322F3E6V6TA7I3RZAZ/

Quoting from that email:

| First the basics: RISC-V is a free and open Instruction Set
| Architecture (ISA).  You can read more about it on the RISC-V
| Foundation's website here:
|
|   https://riscv.org/
|
| Fedora/RISC-V is a project to port Fedora to RISC-V.  Actual, real
| 64-bit RISC-V hardware you can buy is going to be released in Q1 2018
| (it's already sampling to a few lucky developers), and I want Fedora
| to be the first choice to run on that hardware.
|
| The Fedora/RISC-V project web pages are here:
|
|   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V

As noted in the earlier email the project was on a hiatus since the
end of 2016, waiting for the RISC-V Foundation to commit to a stable
Linux libc ABI for the architecture.  Well, finally that has happened.
glibc 2.27, due to be released on Thursday, will contain a stable
RISC-V ABI allowing us to sanely develop a Linux distro.

And thus the Fedora/RISC-V project is back in business.  Next week
we'll be starting the third (and final) bootstrap.  You can follow the
work at these links:

  https://github.com/rwmjones/fedora-riscv-bootstrap
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V/Bootstrapping

The approximate timelines (don't hold me to any of this) are:

  * mid-February: Stage 3 disk image.
  * end-March: Pristine, pure RPM-built stage 4 disk image,
      autobuilder picking up Fedora packages and building them.
  * Summer: Shadow-Koji instance, Fedora 28/Rawhide RPM hosting.

You can already try out the interim (and very minimal and hacky)
bbl-bootloader/kernel/stage 3 disk image:

  http://oirase.annexia.org/riscv/

Install the riscv-qemu package from:

  https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rjones/riscv/

and then run:

  qemu-system-riscv64 \
    -nographic \
    -machine virt \
    -m 2G \
    -kernel bbl \
    -append "console=ttyS0 ro root=/dev/vda init=/init" \
    -device virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0 \
    -drive file=stage3-disk.img,format=raw,id=hd0 \
    -device virtio-net-device,netdev=usernet \
    -netdev user,id=usernet

I'll be at FOSDEM on Saturday if anyone is interested in Fedora and
RISC-V.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW