Re: Fedora27: NFS v4 terrible write performance, is async working

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:00:44AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 30.01.2018 um 09:49 schrieb Terry Barnaby:
> > Untar on server to its local disk:  13 seconds, effective data rate: 68
> > MBytes/s
> >
> > Untar on server over NFSv4.2 with async on server:  3 minutes, effective
> > data rate: 4.9 MBytes/sec
> >
> > Untar on server over NFSv4.2 without async on server:  2 hours 12
> > minutes, effective data rate: 115 kBytes/s !!
> >
> > Is it really expected for NFS to be this bad these days with a
> > reasonably typical operation and are there no other tuning parameters
> > that can help  ?
>
> no, we are running a virtual backup appliance (VMware Data Protection aka
> EMC Avamar) on vSphere 5.5 on a HP microserver running CentOS7 with a RAID10
> built of 4x4 TB consumer desktop disks and the limiting factor currently is
> the Gigabit Ethernet
>
> 35 TB network IO per month, around 1 TB per day which happens between 1:00
> AM and 2:00 AM as well as garbage collection between 07:AM and 08:00 AM

Again, this is highly dependent on the workload.

Your backup appliance is probably mainly doing large sequential writes
to a small number of big files, and we aim for that sort of workload to
be limited only by available bandwidth, which is what you're seeing.

If you have a single-threaded process creating lots of small files,
you'll be limited by disk write latency long before you hit any
bandwidth limits.

--b.