Re: Fedora27: NFS v4 terrible write performance, is async working

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 08:31:05AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 30.01.2018 um 08:25 schrieb Petr Pisar:
> > On 2018-01-29, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The file create isn't allowed to return until the server has created the
> > > file and the change has actually reached disk.
> > >
> > Why is there such a requirement? This is not true for local file
> > systems. This is why fsync() exists
>
> pretty simply because on the NFS server side the whole VFS layer sits again
> and without "async" in the export you need a way to rely on "the stuff i
> wrote to the network ended on the filesystem on the other end"

If I need reliability, I issue fsync from the client process, client VFS
passes it to the NFS client, NFS client translates it into NFS COMMIT message,
sends it to the NFS server, NFS server translates it back to fsync, pass it to
the server VFS and from there to the local file system driver.

I don't understand why NFS should be reliable by default.

-- Petr