Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> Why I'm writing this? I want to hear from you if you think it would be
> good to prohibit (or advise, or whatever mechanism would work) usage if
> conditionals in (at least) master branch to allow us to develop features
> faster. Thoughts? Suggestions?

While I would not personally object to banning EPEL conditionals in master
(though there are others who would), I would most definitely object to
banning Fedora conditionals in master, and in fact, I would likely stop
maintaining packages in Fedora dist-git entirely if that were implemented
and actually enforced. (And if it were implemented and not enforced, I would
just refuse to follow the rule.)

Fast-forward-mergeability between Fedora branches matters to me. But EPEL is
indeed a burden to support (because RHEL releases are supported for so long
and rarely accept backports that allow using newer packaging guidelines) and
I do not maintain any EPEL branches myself. And you usually don't want to
track master in EPEL (but maintain the packages more conservatively) anyway.
So I see the case for keeping those (EPEL) branches separate (from master),
but not the Fedora ones.

        Kevin Kofler