Re: [HEADS UP] Changes in date formatting (strftime, nl_langinfo)

24.01.2018 07:10 Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/22/2018 11:58 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> > I'd like to notify you that today I've finished my works on date
> > formatting in glibc, that means upstream. These changes are already
> > arriving to Fedora Rawhide (they should be there tomorrow) and will
> > be part of Fedora 28. They will be included in glibc 2.27 (to be
> > released on February 1), or in pre-release upstream version
> > 2.26.9000-1145 (in Fedora Rawhide: 2.26.9000-48).

BTW, thank you Florian for delivering it to Rawhide so quickly.

> Note that this is an ongoing effort.

That's true, the change is visible only in languages where the locale
data have actually changed. That's the reason why I'm asking the language
communities for their opinion before we apply the change. So far only
Polish language has been updated and there is some interest from
Belarisuan and Russian communities but no final approval yet.

> Some Romance languages will
> eventually use this to correct the incorrect spelling of “de April” into
> “d'April”. Once this happens, it will be necessary to change
> translation strings for these languages from “de %B” to “%B”, otherwise,
> the result will “de d'April”.

That's true. So far I have identified three languages where the change
will look like this: Asturian, Catalan, and Walloon.

> (Yes, the meaning of %B changed in a backwards-incompatible way, and
> glibc upstream deliberately implemented it this way.)

That's true. But another argument is that it has never been specified
whether %B is standalone or in-full-date-context. Probably because there
was no such need in Germanic languages. It seems that translators have
always treated this as a standalone version, probably except the Lithuanian
community.

Regards,

Rafal