Using project version in soname: is it OK?

Hi Fedora!

TL;DR: What do experienced C/C++ packagers think about this PR,
considering potential future appearance in Fedora?

    https://github.com/naelstrof/slop/pull/94

Background: I'm packaging `slop` in my COPR, as "experimental" builds.
Some day I'd like to propose it to Fedora, but it's not ready, and I
don't feel ready to make it ready. :-) One thing I expect to struggle
with is SONAME versioning since I don't have any experience developing
or packaging soname; I'm kind of using this project to learn.

This upstream project does build one .so but does not currently seem
to have versioning strategy, or even commit to compatibility in a sane
way (it's a small one-man show, probably student); it seems they don't
really expect anybody link against it.

Now: someone proposed PR closely related to SONAME --- it seems like
this would be solution to the problem, so I want to be sure how/why/etc.
The thing is that I don't like it very much, but then again, I might
be wrong.

I already started discussing it with OP, but I'm feeling my lack of
experience either prevents me to discuss it effectively or well, maybe
I'm just plain wrong.

So... I'd like to get some opinion from real (Fedora) packagers. So,
again here is the PR:

    https://github.com/naelstrof/slop/pull/94

Please perform exorcism on my ignorance.

Thanks,
aL.

PS: What I've read so far is relevant FPG part, and TLDP on shared libs;
both are vert useful but don't answer all questions for me.  I also
asked on #fedora-devel with no luck (well it's Friday :))

--
Alois Mahdal <amahdal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Platform QE Engineer at Red Hat, Inc.