Re: microcode updates and spectre variant 2

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 4:06 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 03:42:42PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 3:36 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
>> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > systemd does not regenerate the initramfs, and never did. I think this is
>> > only done automatically upon kernel upgrade.
>>
>> Sorry, I was unclear.  I meant I don't know if systemd has a service
>> to reload microcode later during the boot.
>
> Oh, afaik it has to be loaded very early. early-microcode cpio image is
> generated and used when the kernel is starting. I don't think we can
> load microcode later.

I got irritated at myself for not remembering, so I looked at the code.

There is a mechanism in the kernel to support loading microcode later
in the boot.  It can be done through
/sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload.  However, nothing in Fedora
leverages this and it is really dependent on the class of problem and
how the microcode fixes it.

All that to say, rebuild the initramfs.  It's the safest way to fix
ucode issues.

josh