Re: F28 System Wide Change: Rename "nobody" user

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:53 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 10:26:19AM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:

>> I know this may sound fairly nasty in terms of work required to agree
>> a solution but I honestly have a strong dislike to taking this
>> approach.
>>
>> Having upgraded and freshly installed systems so different is going to
>> be messy with supporting users and in many deployed environments...
>> and it's not even about F26 and F27 -> F28 but what happens on an F29+
>> system?
>>
>> Is this workaround going to be maintained in perpetuity? Is it just
>> going to cause even more confusion then?
>>
>> As a very simple example take a docker host that has been upgraded
>> with a fresh container on it. The nobody user is going to differ
>> between the two which will at a minimum cause confusion, if not actual
>> issues to arise.

The docker issue is if two distinct docker instances expect to access
a shared filesystem on the server, or to share access to a shared
filesystem on the docker server. It is precisely the same issue with
any shared directory and mismatched uids or gids of any type.

> This example is very unconvincing. If I have three docker images, one
> with Fedora, one with Ubuntu, one with OpenSUSE, I'll have different
> nobody user/group combo in each case. So expecting any sort of consistency
> is unwarranted already.

One would typically be aware of mismatched uids among different
operating systems based docker images as a matter of default practice.
Switching it between Fedora releases is likely to be a surprise.

>> Sometimes you just need to "bite the bullet" on a change and accept it
>> will be painful in the short term for benefit in the longer term.
> Yeah, but "biting the bullet" is quite hard in this case. Somebody
> elsewhere in the thread raised the case of tarred backups. People expect
> to be able to restore files from a backup, always and unconditionally
> and without any owner misattribution. That's why we never remove
> existing users and setup.rpm does not reuse uids that stopped being
> useful 10 years ago.

That was me. And this claim was.... well optimistic:

*  People expect to be able to restore files from a backup, always and
unconditionally and without any owner misattribution.

Mis-attribution has *always* been an issue with backup and
restoration, trust me on this one. It's why "tar" supports the
"--owner-map=FILE" option.

> I expect that the workaround would have to be carried for quite a
> while, let's say two years, 4 releases. Hopefully by that time the
> use of the old names will be much rarer, and _then_ actually removing
> the workaround will be much easier. At the moment new systems stop
> having the old names defined by default, pressure starts on
> script/package/external-package to stop using those names. This means
> that their usually starts decreasing without anybody forcefully pushing
> that.
>
> I liked the original plan too, but I think there's too many
> (legitimate) concerns about breakage to push it through. If this
> was about one simple thing you need to check or do, then it'd be different,
> but finding all the uses of a user is messy and complicated.
>
> Zbyszek

If I may suggest, it's a breaking change. It needs to be dealt with as
just such a change. The return-on-investment is not high, and it's not
solving a critical issue required for this release.