Re: scotch: packaging a version with 64bit integers

Hi, Sandro.

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 at 14:58, Sandro Mani wrote:
> I've received a request to package a version of scotch with 64bit integers
> (as opposed to 32bit). I suppose the details are less important, the bottom
> line is
>
> scotch 32bit: typedef int32_t SCOTCH_Num;
>
> scotch 64bit: typedef int64_t SCOTCH_Num;
>
> where SCOTCH_Num affects the public ABI and is used by third parties which
> use scotch.
>

> Upstream allows selecting the integer size at compile-time (i.e. passing
> -DINTSIZE64 for int64_t). However, this choice has no effect on the library
> name, so vanilla upstream will build a library named libscotch.so regardless
> of how you configure it.

Why don't you talk to upstream about this. Having the two builds
parallel-installable would be a benefit for everyone. Please take a look
at what we did in openblas and arpack
(https://github.com/opencollab/arpack-ng/issues/30)

Hopefully that will convince upstream to support library name suffixing.

> I'm skeptical whether introducing a downstream scotch64 package with i.e.
> libscotch64.so is a good solution, given that possibly no build system of
> third-party software using scotch knows about libscotch64.so and would need
> to be carefully patched (i.e. to not mix parts using libscotch and those
> using libscotch64). Also, introducing downstream specific suffixes is never
> a good idea.

In general yes, but in this domain it's a common trend (openblas and
arpack are doing it already).

> The alternative would be to just switch the main scotch package to 64bit
> integers, but this may be undesirable for memory-bound applications which
> rely on the smaller memory-usage of 32bit integers.

Type incompatibility (narrowing) could also be an issue.

> I'm not really sure whether there is a good solution, happy to hear
> opinions.

I'd open a discussion with upstream to see where it goes.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org