Re: [HUP] [critpath] Upgrade soname version of qrencode in Rawhide

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 23:06 +0100, Casper wrote:
> no kidding, it's a critpath, and one day it will be updated in
> development branch (which is called "Rawhide").
>
> you want a rendez-vous or what ?

There's a process you're meant to follow:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Rawhide_.2F_devel_.2F_master

"For updates to rawhide packages, Maintainers SHOULD:

* A WEEK IN ADVANCE, notify maintainers who depend on their package
  to rebuild when there are abi/api changes that require rebuilds in
  other packages or offer to do these rebuilds for them.
* Use a separate buildsystem tag when dealing with mass builds of many
  packages, so they can land at the same time. File a ticket with
  https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/newticket for this."

I don't know if enough things depend on qrencode for it to be worth
setting up a buildsystem tag to do the rebuilds, but the first of those
two points *certainly* applies to your case. Rather than notifying at
the time you did the rebuild, you should have sent out a mail a week in
advance. Ideally it would be best to co-ordinate with the maintainers
of dependent packages so that builds of the library and the
dependencies land in the same compose and there is no breakage -
certainly for something as critical as systemd, without which nothing
works at all.

Rawhide is a development release, but that doesn't mean that it's OK to
just break it whenever you like. We are trying to keep Rawhide at
consistent Alpha quality (that's what the previous cycle's "No More
Alphas" Change was about). That certainly involves making sure the init
system always works.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey