Re: [Test-Announce] Re: Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

> On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 21:49 -0700, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> > This is probably where the "AMD is safe" rumor started, but that is
> > only 1/3, maybe 2/3.  Now that the context is public let's be clear:
> > even AMD processors are vulnerable without the patched kernel Adam has
> > asked for help testing.
>
> AIUI, the kernel update released today only addresses one of the known
> vuln variants - CVE-2017-5754 , or "Meltdown". It does not address CVE-
> 2017-5753 or CVE-2017-5715.

Sorry, forgot to complete this paragraph: ...therefore, even installing
the update is not really a complete solution. However, the variant it
addresses is the one which appears to be most immediately weaponizable.
Google's PoC for that variant (again, "Meltdown" / CVE-2017-5754) is
the one that could most obviously be adapted for practical real-world
attacks - but indeed only against Intel CPUs. The PoCs for the other
two variants - the ones we do not yet have fixes for - are rather less
immediately weaponizable, at least AIUI. Of course, more practical
attacks for those two variants could be discovered at any time, as
could more variants on the vulnerability.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey