Re: Sharing sound hardware

Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Hi Ronald

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 03:10, Ryan Gammon wrote:

2. Pausing was generally broken

Hm, do you mean the ALSA paused state? As far as I know, Dmix doesn't
implement that. You're supposed to just stop playback alltogether when
paused. Not ideal, admittedly, but appears to work.

Yup. I don't think there's any reason that pause couldn't be implemented for dmix, but I guess if it's not working, don't use it.

Would fixed-samplerate do (e.g. fixed to 48kHz)? 99% of the users won't
notice the difference if you're using a reasonably good resampler. On my
computer (don't know if this is generally true), dmix operates on a
fixed samplerate, regardless of playback.

Yeah, that's generally what I'm thinking. You could make an argument for 44100 too -- tends to be more popular, saves on cpu & resampling interpolation.

For the future, ALSA is definately the way to do. It's a pain to get
fully stable, still, but it's getting better. I've ended up debugging
some ALSA issues, but the result isn't too bad really.

Agreed, looking forward to seeing what comes out of Colin's experiments.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon@xxxxxxxx