Re: [Proposal] Mass change: remove executing gtk-update-icon-cache in %post/%postu/%postrans to update hicolor theme cache

On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 17:42 +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On 3 January 2018 at 17:09, Charalampos Stratakis <cstratak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [..]
> > You might want to take a look at https://pagure.io/python-fixrequires which is from a python-SIG member, and modify it for your usecase.
> >
> > It basically forks a repo, makes the changes to the SPEC, pushes it to your fork and creates a PR to the original repo.
>
> I don't think that this could be used because each change needs to be
> reviewed before commit.
>
> All because only standard of writing spec file is there-is-no-standard.
> IMO it should be implemented some kind of spec indentation script

<snip>

No. Please don't conflate these issues - primarily for your own sanity.

Moving icon cache updates to a trigger in the icon theme package is a
very clear and obvious technical improvement which we absolutely ought
to do as soon as possible.

Trying to impose some sort of stylistic consistency on spec files, at
this point in time, feels like a gigantic tarpit trap which will eat
the next several months of your life and sap large chunks of
motivation.

If you still want to do it, I mean, you do you, but it would be a
*terrible* idea to bundle clear and obvious technical improvements in
with the idea of some kind of spec style guide (and enforcement).
Please treat it as an entirely separate proposal. Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey