Re: [Proposal] Mass change: remove executing gtk-update-icon-cache in %post/%postu/%postrans to update hicolor theme cache

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 05:33:38PM +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On 3 January 2018 at 17:09, Igor Gnatenko
> <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [..]
> > First thing you should do is to open a ticket for FPC[0] in order to fix
> > guidelines.
> >
> > Once it is approved by FPC, I can help you dealing with this as a proven
> > packager since it is trivial enough.

Count me in too, I'd be happy to help.

> Done https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/736

Once the guidelines are removed, I think the optimum way is to
a) generate patches for all 1300 packages
b) post them publicly
c) allow the public-at-large and a few committed people to review them
d) after a week of delay use pp powers (you now have at least two
   volunteers, so this shouldn't be an issue) to push those changes
   directly to distgit
e) rebuild select packages (maybe one hundred, to test for any regressions).

Why not rebuild all packages? This is a trivial change, and a mass
rebuild is coming up anyway, so there doesn't seem to be a need to
rebuild everything twice.

Why not post PRs? 1300 PRs will be a pain to manage. It'll also put
a big strain on pagure. I think PRs should be reserved for stuff that
we _want_ people to review individually, not for mass changes like
this.

As to the specific way to implement point a): either the tools
mentioned by Charalampos or Neal, or maybe even a simple 'sed -i'
+ 'rpmdev-bumpspec' would work. I expect that the only way that
doesn't require too much thinking or time is to identify the few
common patterns that are used to call gtk-update-icon-cache and
turn them verbatim into a huge search&replace invocation. This should
work for 99% of packages, and the remaining ones can be done by hand.

Zbyszek