Re: Fedora/EPEL GitHub Badges

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM Avram Lubkin <aviso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Badges are pretty popular in GitHub though there don't seem to be many that provide information on distros that have packages for a project. This would be very useful because, at least for me, the first thing I do when I want to try a new project is see if a package is available for the distro I'm working with, usually Fedora or CentOS.

I searched around, but couldn't find anything that existed already (please let me know if I missed it), so I made static badges for one of my projects, python-enlighten[1], but this requires remembering to update them when a new version of Fedora comes out.

I tried to create a dynamic one, but it isn't exactly what I want. It's based on if a branch exists and starts with 'f' or 'e', not if there is a stable package for that branch. Also, the branch names are not consistent between EPEL 6 and EPEL 7, so it would be better to just get the number. Might as well just use the number for Fedora too for consistency.

Static Fedora:

Static EPEL:

Dynamic Fedora:

Dynamic EPEL:

I'm also not sure the best place to point them to. shields.io does let you set a target for both the left and the right sides, but I just set the target within readme.rst and pointed both badges to the Bodhi updates page for the package.

Anyone have a better way to generate dynamic badges? Should badge generation be a part of the Fedora infrastructure?

For an alternative approach, would it be better to show the latest stable version in the latest Fedora. Something like this, but dynamic:

I would be very interested in this if it were dynamic. My preference would be for a dynamic badge service which shows the latest stable `nevr` for either a specific Fedora/EPEL, with the option to use keywords like "latest" and "rawhide" in addition to specific releases like "F27". Upstream users could choose to add a Fedora 26 badge, a Fedora 27 badge, and a Fedora Rawhide badge to advertise the available versions in each of those, or they could just advertise the latest stable with a badge for the latest released Fedora version.