Re: <DKIM> Re: <DKIM> Re: Proposed Fedora packaging guideline: Forge-hosted projects packaging automation

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:23:19PM +0100, nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Neal,
>
> > And the issue you're having that requires %setupargs is not a problem
> > in RPM 4.14
>
> I don't have an issue with  %setupargs, I have an issue with requiring packagers to change stuff in the spec header *and*
> at %prep level, which is not in the same place of the spec. That is something which has wasted huge quantities of man-hours in the past, even for experienced packagers.
>
> The automation knows how the downloaded source archive will be named, what is the structure of the source archive (the arguments that need passing to %setup for this archive). The question is just how to pass that knowledge from the automation macro call to %setup or %autosetup.
>
> Overriding %setup makes this work transparently with little risk.
> If there is a strong opposition to that what is the best way to achieve the same result?
>
> Using a specific setup-ish macro name like suggested by Panu is trivial technically but has the huge drawback that it requires a specific call by the packager (and many will forget it, at least as first). So it de-optimizes the packager workflow. I'd frankly prefer to optimize the packager workflow over helping tooling – that's what costs actual money and potential contributors.

I think it's OK. After all you already require a specific '%setup -n <arg>'
invocation (<arg> in this case is different then the github default), and
setting a few different fields in a specific order. So in practice people
are going to go by the template provided in the docs, and whether it's
%setup -n something or %forgesetup doesn't make much difference.

Zbyszek