Re: Colm rawhide soname bump

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "pro" .spec hack: This is why I hard-code library sonames in my packages
> (even if hardcoding is frowned upon in general, especially in .spec files,
> where macros are preferable) - but that way, a soname bump always gets
> noticed as it results in failed builds if the .spec file is not adapted, and
> it can't just "slip through".
>
> Just my 2c.

One trick I picked up from doing a lot of Mageia packaging is having a
central macro for soname bumping. Unlike Fedora, Mageia (like
openSUSE) requires that libraries get split out into their own
packages with the soname embedded in the package name. The central
macro makes it easy to detect soname bumps and still actually bump
them.

For example, pkgconf on Mageia[1] vs pkgconf on Fedora[2].

[1]: http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/pkgconf/current/SPECS/pkgconf.spec?view=markup
[2]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/pkgconf/blob/master/f/pkgconf.spec