Re: New Install Idea

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 01:06 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:02:45AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> >  1. multiple repository support
> >  2. a way to set up multiple repositories, sanely, in the gui
> >  3. a nice way to handle conflicts and what not from the interface -
> > seeing as anaconda has, historically, dealt with consistent repositories
> > with complete dependency closure. B/c you know the moment there is
> > multiple repo support people will not just do base+updates but base
> > +extras+updates+joesrepoofdoom
>
> So, can we just have anaconda call pup?

... as Seth said, the plan is for anaconda to essentially do this.
Although probably not with (exactly) the pup UI.  There's a method to
the madness and something of a vague roadmap[1] for getting there sanely
too ;-)

The basic idea is as follows:
1) Get pup working nicely solely for getting updates (nb: pup is the
under development update tool to sit on top of yum).
2) Interface along the lines of system-config-packages that allows
installation/removal/etc of packages.  This will build on the work of
pup and allow fleshing out of things like CD information needed for the
metadata format.
3) Pull current package handling/dep resolution code out of anaconda.  A
lot of #2 should drop in.  Still single repository.
4) Add support for configuring additional repositories

Granted, getting through the entire list is a lot of work and I really
don't see it all happening for FC4.  Hopefully we'll have the first and
at least a good start on the second underway for FC4.

Jeremy

[1] Which I'll actually be writing up to some extent for my presentation
at FUDCon.  Once that's done, I'll ensure that it ends up online as
well.