Re: Sharing sound hardware

On 02/06/2005 10:11 AM, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 12:25, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
[dmix...]

Would fixed-samplerate do (e.g. fixed to 48kHz)? 99% of the users won't
notice the difference if you're using a reasonably good resampler. On my
computer (don't know if this is generally true), dmix operates on a
fixed samplerate, regardless of playback.

Please, no! This sounds really bad to me (pun intended ;-) I own a card that can do hardware mixing and really don't like the idea of "being punished" for that. Especially by something like upsampling almost every sound I play from 44.1 to 48kHz. And yes, I will notice (is it really 99% of the users who won't? where does this number come from?) -- decent amplifier, cables and loudspeakers do just that: you start noticing.

99% of the users is a random guess. I'm talking about any user here, not
technical user specifically.

I was suspecting that much, however this sounds like "who cares about this 1%" -- I say: "it may or may not be 1%, and they probably care" ;-)

Yes, I understand why users want software mixing if their soundcard doesn't support hardware mixing. I was there once. I support effort of getting it working out of the box for them. But I wouldn't like for Fedora to forget about those who build their machines to have better support just to discover that a year later their distro takes away support for their harware (or gives them hard time to get that support working right again).

The idea is that dmix is only there when
needed. If your card doesn't support mixing, well, you don't expect
anything else, do you? You can't ask for the impossible. If you card
does, then turn it off. It's not that hard. (And yes, this should of
course be auto-detected, we're working on that.)

Always good to hear :-)

If so, *please* include a note how to do it in Release Notes for FC4.

I'm sure the fedora people will do that, obviously, but I (for the
GStreamer side of the thing) prefer to do the right thing automagically.

That would be great! And that's what I would expect to happen if implemented correctly, not less.

I'm not sure that'll be finished by FC4.

I understand that there are some technical difficulties and sometimes developers need time to figure out how to do "the right thing" in all possible hardware/software configurations.

That's why I'd be happy if there was clear and documented way of turning software mixing off if the user wishes. That should also keep it off after some related packages get upgraded.

Kind regards,
Dariusz