Re: F28 System Wide Change: Reduce Initial Setup Redundancy

On Tue, 2017-12-05 at 07:18 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> [...]
> > suppress some configuration that is best handled in Anaconda. Below,
> > we discuss what we plan to do with specific settings.
> >
> > === Language and Keyboard Layout ===
> >
> > Although we do not propose it at this time, language and keyboard
> > layout selection should be presented to the user *before* entering the
> > live session, as it is currently too difficult for users to change
> > these settings unless they are already familiar with Fedora, and --
> > unless you speak English and use a US keyboard -- these settings must
> > be changed for the live session to be usable. Both Anaconda and
> > gnome-initial-setup are too late for configuring these settings. (An
> > exception would be for netinstalls of Fedora Workstation, where
> > Anaconda is the best place for this configuration.)
>
> Since that talks about something that will not happen yet, maybe move
> it to some "discussion" section?
>
> Also, please consider reworking the text to have in each section
> first a short summary of what the decision is, and then the justification
> below. This text is long and it's hard to "scan".
>
> > In the meantime,
> > until we have a way to prompt users for these settings earlier than
> > Anaconda, these panels should be removed from gnome-initial-setup,
> > because Anaconda is clearly a better place than gnome-initial-setup
> > for this configuration. (This would affect gnome-initial-setup when
> > creating the first user account. Additional user accounts created
> > later would still receive these panels in gnome-initial-setup.)
> >
> > === Time and Date ===
> >
> > We want to remove the time and date spoke from Anaconda, since it is
> > largely redundant with the timezone page in gnome-initial-setup.
> > However, it might be necessary to remove this page from
> > gnome-initial-setup instead, as previously there have been technical
> > concerns raised regarding the necessity of configuring the system
> > clock before running the installer. This choice will be based on
> > technical feedback from the Fedora developer community.
> >
> > === Network ===
> >
> > We will remove the network configuration spoke from Anaconda.
> > Currently this spoke only allows configuring the system hostname, but
> > it places restrictions on the possible characters in the hostname that
> > do not match the restrictions used by Fedora Workstation. Fedora
> > Workstation uses systemd-hostnamed to allow "pretty" hostnames with
> > Unicode characters and spaces, which we expect to be displayed
> > properly and consistently in the user interface, but the Anaconda
> > configuration does not follow this pattern. Additionally, exposing the
> > hostname as network configuration is confusing. We may consider adding
> > a simpler "Computer Name" setting that allows "pretty" characters and
> > is not presented as a networking setting in the future, but it does
> > not seem necessary to prompt the user to set a hostname at all.
>
> Another possibility is to teach anaconda to use hostnamectl/hostnamed
We already use hostnamectl[0] to set the hostname *for the installation environment*,
but we just create a configuration file[1] *for the installed system*.

Is there a way to tell hostnamectl/hostnamed to set the hosname for the installation chroot ?
Then we would be able to use it for both.

[0] https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/master/pyanaconda/network.py#L1287
[1] https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/master/pyanaconda/network.py#L1292