Re: How to manage a fork

On 11/29/2017 10:53 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 06:52:00PM +0100, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
>> As as you have a fork, my understanding is that you should just use
>> traditional gut commands. I’m not aware of a fork being used for much
>> more than spec PRs.
>
> Or traditional _git_ commands -- whatever. :)
>
> Personally, I find that when working with forks of something where I'm
> a casual contributor, I end up doing this a lot:
>
>   git remote add upstream https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs
>
>   git fetch upstream
>   git reset --hard upstream/master
>

> (repeat last two steps)

I'm sure places like github have docs on this too, but pagure also does:

https://docs.pagure.org/pagure/usage/forks.html

There's one big gotcha to note with forks on src.fedoraproject.org:
You have to be in the packager group to push changes to anything there
(including forks) at least for now. We want to change this, but it will
require a fair bit of shifting things around.

You can still of course make a copy of the repo on any other public
place (pagure.io, github, gitlab, etc) and file "remote pull requests"
in the mean time.

> Because I don't really want to keep a long-lived fork with local
> changes and differences and merge. Possibly fedpkg could grow something
> smart around this?

Possibly. It's also worth noting that some people use a workflow like:

* fork project
* make changes, submit PR
* delete fork

that way the next time you can just refork it and be set.

kevin