Re: New Install Idea

Robert Spangler wrote:

Hello,

I had posted this idea on the Fedora list and the feed back showed some interest. It seems to take a long time to install Fedora and I believe a better way of doing it would be to have a bare bone install CD. It was suggested that I post the same idea here for you fine folks.

Presently you down load minimum of 3 CD's or the DVD and install. After the install you run yum which again downloads all the latest software that you have installed.

The idea would be to have a bare bone install CD. What this CD should contain is just enough software to get the system to the point where it could connect to a Repository. system and then download the latest up to date versions of the software you want to install. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of how the new Debian install works. You could keep the same install look that is now present in Fedora just when it comes time to install the system software it downloads what is needed from the Internet.

With this type of install I can a great improvement. You will only be downloading the software you want which will not require you to download large amounts of software you don't need. Also you will always have the most up to date software installed on your system.

I am not suggesting to stop making the ISO images just give the installer a choice of downloading the complete CD set or one small CD which will connect them to a Repository. site to download the latest version of everything they want to install.

Just a thought.  Thnx for your time.

You already can do a network (FTP/HTTP/NFS) install from the first CD.

--
				Brian Gerst