Re: Moving away from Thrift

Crap, sorry, this was sent to the wrong list. Sorry. Why does every community have mailing list called "dev" or "devel"? So confusing. Sorry again.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 11:34 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Accumulo Devs,

I think it's time we start seriously thinking about moving away from Thrift and considering alternatives.
For me, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-4062 is becoming the last straw.

Thrift is a neat idea, but to be blunt: there seems to be a fundamental lack of care or interest from the Thrift developers at the current moment.

Some of the problems we've seen over the years: Every version is fundamentally incompatible with other versions. Repeated flip-flopping regressions seems to occur with each release. Fundamental design concepts like distinguishing server-side exceptions (TApplicationException vs. TException) are undermined without consideration of the initial design. And now, a serious bug (a spammy debugging print statement) was left in for nearly a year now (still exists in current version), and no response from the PMC to indicate any willingness to release a fix. Repeated requests to the developer list has gone ignored. And, I'm not even counting my requests for assistance debugging a compiler issue on s390x arch having also gone ignored.

These problems are not exclusive to Accumulo. Many of these are problems that Cassandra has also faced, and I'm sure there are others.

It's possible that Thrift can remedy the situation. None of these problems are insurmountable, and none of them are beyond fixes, particularly if we can afford to volunteer more to help out. My intention is not to throw a fellow Apache project under the bus, and I do not intend to give up reporting bugs, and contributing patches to Thrift where appropriate. But, I think we also need to think realistically, and consider alternatives, if Thrift development does not go in a direction which is favorable to Accumulo.

So, with that in mind, any suggestions for alternatives? With pros/cons?