Re: RFC: -Wl,--as-needed by default

Am Montag, den 13.11.2017, 11:02 +0100 schrieb Igor Gnatenko:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested why we still don't have this flag in our CFLAGS? It
> seems that
> other distributions like openSUSE enable it by default and it helps
> in many
> cases to avoid over-linking (for example, see thread about poppler).
>
> Are there any reasons not to add it?

Hello Igor,

that specific flag should be in LDFLAGS, but there are reasons, we do
NOT have it in there, because it will likely break any binaries built
from or containing FORTRAN sources.  They will simply SEGFAULT, because
`-Wl,--as-needed` causes some needed runtime libraries NOT being linked
with them, because the linker thinks they are not needed / would over
link.

Cheers,
  Björn