Re: Remove old GPG keys?

On 11/01/2017 01:19 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 11/01/2017 03:14 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> The only attack vector I can see is tricking someone into installing a
>> package from an EOL release with a known vulnerablity, but if you can do
>> that you likely can get them to just download it and install it or
>
> Is it possible to compromise an old key, and use it to sign new malware
> that looks like it is from a recent distribution?

Well, rpm doesn't care what a file is named... you can make a
foobar-1.0.fc30.x86_64.rpm signed by any key you want. That said, you
would have to trick someone into downloading and installing it.

>I understand that it's
> unlikely because private keys are protected equally well regardless
> whether they are old or new, but maybe there's some way that makes older
> keys more vulnerable?

Sure, older keys are likely less bits (I don't recall). So it's more
likely someone could brute force them somehow or the like. As far as I
know even 1024 bit gpg keys are not brute forceable currently.

kevin