Re: hp-plugin doesn't work in hplip-3.17.9 - move to 3.17.10 if you need

On 10/26/2017 01:50 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>
>> HP changed website this week, which has consequences for getting hp
>> proprietary plugin - it cannot be downloaded anymore for hplip-3.17.9,
>> which is in stable Fedoras (f25 and f26) and Fedora 27. ...
>> upstream several times about uploading plugin into openprinting.org
>> website, but without answer (probably because it was available on
>> hplipopensource.com). That's the situation for hplip-3.17.9.
>
>> Luckily, there is hplip-3.17.10 in updates-testing repository, which has
>> plugin on openprinting.org. So if someone now needs to install printer,
>> which needs proprietary plugin, please update hplip to 3.17.10 from
> Not so much luck, as a sufficiently good process mostly being
> followed ['The more a well designed process is followed and
> tweaked with improvements, the more lucky one becomes' ;) ]
>
> The post partially quoted above points up another benefit from
> the virtue of 'packaging everything' as discussed in the
> recent 'packaging ruby dependencies' thread.  When an upstream
> 'goes wonky' for whatever reason (there was a similar example
> in the Node.js ecosystem where a maintainer took down a minor
> but critical dependency, and 'broke world'), one can 'fall
> back' to the last SRPMS (and other VCS backups as well), and
> recover
>
> Without packaged sources, and the discipline of sub-dependency
> determination and solution, and the 'four freedoms' checking
> goodness of a formal 'licenses review', and the additional set
> of eyes cross-checking work, one loses so much

Issue is that plugin is proprietary (owned by HP) and it contains
precompiled data, so it cannot be packaged.  Upstream doesn't reply on
most issues. But this plugin is needed by group of printers, so there
needs to be a way to download it (if we want to support these printers
in Fedora).

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer