Re: Improving Linux laptop battery life: Testers Wanted

On 09/14/2017 04:22 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My next project for Red Hat is to work on improving Linux laptop battery
> life.
> Part of the (hopefully) low hanging fruit here is using kernel tunables to
> enable more runtime powermanagement. My first target here is SATA Link
> Power
> Management (LPM) which, as Matthew Garrett blogged about 2 years ago:
> https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/34868.html
> can lead to a significant improvement in battery life.
>
> There is only one small problem, there have been some reports that some
> disks/SSDs don't play well with Linux' min_power LPM policy and that this
> may lead to system crashes and even data corruption.
>
> As such I've written a new LPM policy, which matches the power-management
> defaults from the Intel RST Windows drivers. Since it mimicks Windows,
> this new policy will hopefully not hit any SSD firmware bugs like min_power
> sometimes does.
>
> So now I'm looking for people with a laptop with a SATA SSD or HDD to help
> me test this to make sure this won't cause any issues when we enable this
> by default for F28, for more details and test instructions see:
>
> https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/18412.html

Hey Hans. I had marked this to try and do to help gather info, but
things have been busy and I haven't ever gotten to it.

I thought before I did I might ask if you already have the info you were
looking for since it's been over a month now.

How have reports been? Is it perhaps time to enable this in rawhide?

kevin