Re: bodhi CLI and USERNAME

On 10/19/2017 04:09 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Greetings fellow Fedorans,
>
> We're about to release Bodhi 3.0.0[0] upstream, which has a backwards
> incompatible CLI change[1] that I am considering backporting to the
> stable Fedoras, but I wanted feedback first before I do that.
>
> The Bodhi 2 CLI will use the USERNAME environment variable when
> authenticating you, if present, and the Bodhi 3 CLI[3] does not use any
> environment variable (yet) for authentication. Here's the reasoning:
>
> * The Bodhi 2 CLI previously didn't have the ability to remember your
>   username, but it did have the environment variable, which kind of
>   acted like a bandaid. I believe this variable was in place before I
>   got involved.
> * The CLI got a lot of love earlier this year, and one of the big things
>   added was the ability for it to remember your username if you've ever
>   successfully authenticated before. This feature largely removed the
>   need for the environment variable, but keeping the variable seemed
>   harmless at the time.
> * I recently learned that the variable is painful for some users,
>   because GDM sets this variable to your local system's login username,
>   which is not necessarily the same as your FAS username.
> * When the username is present, Bodhi will not prompt the user for their
>   username, which leads to a very poor experience upon first login for
>   GDM users who have mismatching FAS account names (Bodhi prompts for
>   their password and then tells them it's wrong). Without the variable,
>   Bodhi will prompt users to enter their username upon first use.
> * Users can currently override the USERNAME environment variable with a
>   --user flag as a workaround.
> * Though it may seem that Kerberos addresses this problem, Bodhi does
>   not use Kerberos (it uses OpenID) and there are not plans to adjust
>   Bodhi to use Kerberos because we plan to convert it to use OpenID
>   Connect instead.
>
> In order to address the above, and in the spirit of working quickly due
> to the other pressures to complete 3.0.0, it was easy enough to just
> drop support for this environment variable with 3.0.0, since 3.0.0
> already needed other backwards incompatible changes. However, I have a
> few questions for the list:
>
> 0) Do you have a use case for an environment variable to set your
>    username? If there is sufficient demand for this feature, we can add
>    it back with a different name in a future Bodhi 3 release (perhaps
>    BODHI_USER or FAS_USER would suffice).
>
> 1) I'd like to make a backwards incompatible patch for the stable
>    Fedoras so that GDM users get a better experience without having to
>    wait for Fedora 28, but I don't want to do this if it is too
>    disruptive. Normally I am quite against backwards incompatible
>    changes in Fedora, but this can also be viewed as a painful bug and
>    fixing the bug might alleviate more pain than the change would
>    cause. Would such a change be a disruption to us developers, or does
> [...]

I don't think this change will affect my workflow at all. That said,
I've had this in my .bashrc for a while:

  # Used by /usr/bin/bodhi at least
  export FAS_USERNAME="crobinso"

And checking f25 dist-git bodhi code gives:

$ git grep USERNAME
bodhi-0.9.12.2/bodhi/tools/client.py:    return
os.getenv('FAS_USERNAME', getuser())
bodhi-0.9.12.2/docs/bodhi.1:.IP "\fB\-u --username\fP USERNAME"

So indeed seems like the historical env name here is FAS_USERNAME, and
the switch to USERNAME is only in f26+ bodhi era code. I think that
changes a lot of the above dynamics. Maybe just switch the stable
branches back to FAS_USERNAME which avoids the GDM issue

Thanks,
Cole