Re: Cockpit depends on NetworkManager.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is clean_requirements_on_remove being helpful as usual. Never should
have been a default setting as I've argued before, and the first thing I
disable in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf.
http://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/conf_ref.html#clean-requirements-on-remove-label

It would be a nice feature if it hadn't been for PackageKit not
marking packages correctly in older Fedora versions. Anybody who has
done in-place upgrades has totally wrong mark-installed metadata in
their local DB, with no good way to fix that.

Occasional bugs like NetworkManager not being marked as needed by
anything don't entirely negate the feature's usefulness.

They don't, but they do add to the list of reasons why it should not be enabled by default. The other major reason is that there is (still) no feedback to the user why the extra packages are being removed. This could be fixed, but it hasn't been. Other package managers, and indeed yum before, had a specific command to enable this sort of behavior called autoremove. I would be perfectly fine with having such a command, and having the ability to enable clean_requirements_on_remove, but I disagree with its default setting.

-Dan