Re: Updates for Firefox 57 beta

On 17 October 2017 at 01:19, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> According to my reading today that was disabled for the beta and only
> present in the developer version to assist in the migration and porting etc
>
> As of FF57 beta WebExtension only is supported and legacy is killed off.

I think the whole *idea* was to suggest making the option available
again in Fedora's build of FF57.
--

James Hogarth answered that question.  Fx 57 supports only webextensions.

And even if we hypothetically forked Firefox (as that is what it would be) to add legacy extension capability back it would mark a significant divergence with upstream and I'm not sure if addons.mozilla.org could even be used then anyway as it'd detect FF57 and state that older extensions are not supported. That doesn't even go into the legal situation as to whether we could even call it Firefox with such divergence (remember Iceweasel?) ... there's a reason there's a whitelist on the Firefox packages for build permissions after all.

And how long would you want FF packagers to maintain such a patchset for? Even the next ESR will drop legacy extensions.