Re: Batched updates for development cycles

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 03:06 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> It seems batched updates is turned on for F-27 [1], surely it makes
>> sense for updates to go straight out in the development cycle, this
>> affects things getting into the nightly composes for testing in live
>> images and other such things.
>>
>> I feel this should be something that is only used for stable releases.
>
> Hey Peter!
>
> Since branched releases have the updates-testing repository enabled by
> default, won't the effect you desire happen anyway?

No, because the updates-testing repo is enabled by default for
installs, it's not enabled for the composes so things like Live, ARM
and cloud images when composed don't include the contents of
updates-testing. If you updated them once they are booted they pull in
testing, but the pungi compose that generates them only consumes the
f27 tag.

> I'm not opposed to modifying the system so that it doesn't batch for
> stable releases, but I'm curious why the default updates-testing repo
> doesn't satisfy the need.

You're confusing stable releases (F25 and F26) vs development/branched
releases (F27) and see above for the answer to that. IMO the stable
releases should have batched updates, the branched releases either
shouldn't or if they do the 'batches' should be sent out daily.