Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On 12/10/17 22:48, John Florian wrote:
On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 19:54 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 09:05:33AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
It's true that a number of older extensions will not work.

Well, looking at the most popular extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/extensions/?sort=users

hardly any of them are parked as "compatible with firefox 57+".
I'm counting 5/20 on the first page linked there, and 4/20
on the first page of the highest rated extensions.

So I stand by my slightly modified claim that installing this update
will disable most of your extensions.

I think you might be surprised how many *new* WebExtension alternatives
are available, but they are not yet popular when competing against the
*old* standbys.  IMHO, Mozilla could have done better with epoch
weighting, displaying the legacy tags far earlier -- those are really
quite recent.  I was also annoyed that I couldn't easily limit my
search for non-legacy extensions when using firefox < 57.

I have been actively looking for replacements for the various extensions that I use for the last couple of releases and so far only about 50% or so have anything even vaguely equivalent with only weeks left to be before the extensionpocalypse hits.

The biggest issues are NoScript (which is supposedly coming) and Cookie Monster (which seems to be hopeless) but there are plenty of others.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/