Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On 11 Oct 2017 4:48 pm, "Pierre-Yves Chibon" <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 04:34:52PM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
>    On 11 October 2017 at 16:23, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>      On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Till Hofmann
>      <thofmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>        The very first sentence of the page you linked above:
>
>          The updates-testing repository, also referred to as Test Updates,
>          contains updates scheduled to be released for Branched pre-releases
>          (after the Bodhi enabling point) and stable releases of Fedora
>
>        The point is that your update is not intended to ever make it to the
>        stable update, i.e., it is not "scheduled to be released" for
>        anything. If I understood correctly, you want people to test the beta
>        version and then eventually submit the final release (i.e., not this
>        update) to stable. I don't think that's how the updates-testing
>        repository is supposed to be used. Instead, it should only contain
>        updates that will eventually make it into stable.
>
>        Regards,
>        Till
>
>      +1 - Exactly...
>
>    Thought I'd quickly test this being built in a COPR ... but where exactly
>    are you building from?
>    https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/firefox/blob/f27/f/firefox.spec
>    That shows vesion 56, not 57, and same with rawhide.
>    I didn't think we could build from a non-fedora-branch git branch for a
>    bodhi update ... that feels ... wrong ...
>    Is this an intended effect of the "arbitrary branches" for modularity?
>    This really feels like it breaks the history/audit trail fro what ends up
>    in our repos.
>    This doesn't even show the branch it came
>    from: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=981886

But it gives the commit which is:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/firefox/c/fd700ad0ae450c4705017e05db7af709f7ea90f0?branch=stransky-firefox-57
itself part of the stransky-firefox-57 branch:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/firefox/commits/stransky-firefox-57

This behavior is nothing new and is the reason why releng does not allow to
delete branches in dist-git.

Pierre

Yes I saw the commit but that is my very point.

I was pretty sure that only scratch builds could be carried out from non release branches but you get something into a compose you needed to merge to master or a release branch.

Otherwise things like releng or proven packagers doing rebuilds for library bumps or similar issues start to go very wrong.

They'd go to do a patch or release bump in the branch and boom... versioning screwed.

As I said I suspect this is a side affect of the modularity arbitrary branching stuff, similar to how as an accident it was possible to do docker container builds from the rpms namespace at first.

It'd be good to get confirmation from releng or FESCo on the intended behaviour as this feels wrong...