Re: Purpose of Makefile in package repository?

On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 14:48 +0000, Tim Landscheidt wrote:

> I searched a bit in the wiki, and my sense is that at some
> point in the past packages were maintained in a CVS reposi-
> tory with Makefiles and that those have been replaced by Git
> repositories and fedpkg.
>
> Is that correct?  Can such a Makefile then be deleted or
> does it serve any other purpose?

That is correct. Most packages had a nearly identical copy of this
Makefile, but a few (most notably the kernel) had extended it with
other maintainer convenience commands. I suspect what happened here is
that when we moved to git we preserved any Makefile that didn't match
the standard one.

This particular one is certainly not doing anything useful anymore,
feel free to nuke it.

- ajax