Re: Using amdgpu as default for all GCN cards

On 25/09/17 01:14 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Lo! On 25.09.2017 20:28, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> On 25/09/17 04:51 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> […]
>> So far, Sea Island cards are enabled by default from kernel 4.13.x while
>> only the old GCN cards (South Island) are the last to remain
>> experimental.
> Source? Afaics it's more like: Yes, GCN is considered experimental, but
> even if you enable the amdgpu support for CIK parts you have to provide
> two module parameters on boot to activate it -- hence you can't really
> call that "Sea Island cards are enabled by default" imho. See
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/Kconfig
> for details (it's the same in 4.13). That stuff was changed quite a bit
> for 4.13; one of those commits was
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=2b059658d6796a096ef06be9da994d6c44401d5b
> which reads "There is no feature parity yet for CIK, in particular
> amdgpu doesn't support HDMI/DisplayPort audio without DC."
>
> For me all of this says: It's way to early to switch to amdgpu for GCN
> or CIK GPUs.
>
> CU, knurd

To be precise, old GCN cards like CIK and SI. Good to know CIK module is
enabled inmainline kernel 4.13 with no required parameter as it is
easier to try with xorg-x11-amdgpu driver. Only SI remains experimental
according to the mainline commit from the kernel. I forgot about HDMI
audio issues, hopefully that will be ironed out.

--

Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer