Re: Kernel 4.13 rebase plans

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why would the kernel modules be shown in Gnome Software? That goes against all that I've heard about it. All the low level things like libraries and non-graphical programs are not shown.

I believe it has appstream metainfo. Software shows plugins and fonts and codecs and other stuff that is useful to non-developers. Not libraries or CLI programs, no.

I'm definitely not the right person to talk to about the history of Negativo, but my understanding is this. Christian asked people to list their complaints about Fedora -- why don't you use Fedora? -- and one of the most important results was that installing Nvidia's crap proprietary driver is too hard, and that it frequently breaks during kernel updates. So there's two parts to that problem. Part one is making it appear in GNOME Software, so that it's easy to install. Part two is making it not break. Both parts needed to be fixed.

I actually can't myself find it in GNOME Software, but I never checked the checkbox in gnome-initial-setup to enable proprietary software sources. Hopefully if someone who checked that checkbox were to search, it would show up. Hopefully....

And that still doesn't solve the signing issue. Gnome Software can't turn off secure boot for you, so those kernel modules you've installed will not load. Installing third party kernel modules are a command line operation and if you have secure boot, will require other manual intervention as well.

I don't know anything about that. :( But Ubuntu has been supporting the Nvidia driver for many, many years without requiring any use of the CLI. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work with secure boot. Maybe that will be the next challenge to fix.

Michael