Re: Improving Linux laptop battery life: Testers Wanted

Hi,

On 17-09-17 17:26, Germano Massullo wrote:
Il 17/09/2017 15:39, Hans de Goede ha scritto:
Hi,

On 14-09-17 14:44, Germano Massullo wrote:
Hi Hans, I can provide ~10 different Thinkpad models to test your code.
Looking forward to start!

That is great, thank you.

I'm looking forward to hear back from you with the results.

Regards,

Hans

Just a question before I start with tests on some machines. Concerning
the very little probability that some data corruption could happen:
which kind of data corruption would be? Bit flips, etc. Yes I do have
backups, but I wanted to ask that just to understand if I better to
resume data from backups even if I had no apparent crashes during tests.

There are 2 sorts of problems which have been reported in the past:

1) The disk stops responding, so the system is effectively dead
until you reboot, with a journaling filesystem this should not be a
problem really. This is the most frequent problem (still not very
frequent).

2) Some SSD firmwares seem to mess up their internal bookkeeping
of which part of the flash holds what when putting the SSD in a low
power state at just the wrong time. This typically lead to all sort
of filesystem errors, etc. and requires a full re-install. This is
a very rare occurrence, but is the reason why I've been asking for
wide testing as this one is nasty.

TL;DR: I do not expect you to see any silent data corruption if
anything goes wrong, you should know.

Note hitting the race for problem 2. may take some time, which is why
I've asked people to test with the patched kernel and the
med_power_with_dipm policy for at least 2 weeks.

Regards,

Hans