F28 System Wide Change: Deprecate TCP wrappers

= Proposed System Wide Change: Deprecate TCP wrappers =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Deprecate_TCP_wrappers

Change owner(s):
* Jakub Jelen <jjelen AT redhat DOT com >

TCP wrappers is a simple tool to block incoming connection on
application level. This was very useful 20 years ago, when there were
no firewalls in Linux. This is not the case for today and connection
filtering should be done in network level or completely in application
scope if it makes sense. After recent discussions I believe it is time
to go for this package, if not completely, than at least as a
dependency of modern daemons in system by default.

== Detailed Description ==
Last version of tcp_wrappers was released 20 years ago (with later
addition of IPv6 support). At that time, it was very powerful tool to
"block all traffic", but these days we can do the same thing using
firewalls/iptables/nftables for all traffic on network level or
similar filtering exists in most of the applications.

One of the motivating factors for this change was removal of TCP
wrappers support from systemd and openssh in 2014, based on the thread
on fedora devel list [1]. I started another thread during 2017 [2]
which is trying to explain the reasons why we should do that with
other constructive ideas.

Another factor which has driven the deprecation of this package is the
lack of any upstream community around it. Although the threats on
networking communications increase, the threat coverage of this
package has remained the same the last two decades, suggesting that
new threats are now being handled on different components.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-March/196913.html
[2] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/2IBVP66BM6HUZVRTFIVURNZUR2XSUMOD/

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
Deprecate tcp_wrappers in Fedora, remove dependency on other pacakges
maintained and notify other maintainers to follow the same procedure.

* Other developers:
Remove dependency of your software on tcp_wrappers

* Release engineering:
https://pagure.io/releng/issues/7029

List of deliverables:
Not affected

Policies and guidelines: If package will not be retired, update
packaging guidelines to NOT RECOMMEND building against tcp_wrappers

Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
--
Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager