Is /usr/share/mimelnk used for anything any more?

While cleaning up an old spec file, I came across a desktop file,
containing MimeType information, which is to be placed under
/usr/share/mimelnk. The same information also exists in a regular
desktop file (which goes in /usr/share/applications), so it doesn't
add anything.

Over at freedesktop.org I couldn't find any specification about
dropping files under /usr/share/mimelnk.

Our wiki references that directory only once[0], as part of a proposed
kde-specific macro.

There is a thread on this mailing list from 2004[1], where it is
mentioned that kde would switch to using /usr/share/mime.

On a system I have kept upgrading from F17 or F19, I have such desktop
files, all of which date back to 2008 or 2007; on newer installations
the directory exists, but all its subdirectories are empty.

Is it safe to get rid of the file, or is there something like EPEL
that might still be using it?

0. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Packaging/Cleanup
1. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/YZANPHWRFU52DVMRWHJKN4KJY35DX37H/#CM7T6T733GJIW7M5TSYFP2FPGO5CU3S5