Re: F28 System Wide Change: Switch libidn-using applications to IDNA2008

> Jan Kurik wrote:
> > * Other developers:
> > Maintainers, should
> > - Verify that their software is linked with the libidn library
> > - Update the software from upstream if it already has been
> > converted to
> > libidn2
> > - Check the libidn2 instructions on converting a package to
> > libidn2.
> > - Propose patches (trivial task) to convert to libidn2, and
> > notify upstream about it.
> > In short switch software from libidn to libidn2, it is sufficient
> > replacing idna.h header with idn2.h.
>
> I repeat again what I already wrote when this was initially
> announced,
> because it was ignored:
>
> I do not see why we need to patch each and every application for
> this. Since
> the library is at least API-compatible (not sure about the ABI),
> libidn2-
> devel should have Obsoletes and Provides for libidn-devel and
> symlinks
> libidn.so → libidn2.so and idn.h → idn2.h. Then all that is needed
> in
> application packages is a rebuild. Changing one package scales much
> better
> than changing all other packages.

libidn contains more than IDNA2003 functionality, such as stringprep et
al. Libidn2 contains only IDNA2008 functionality, so there cannot be a
1-1 mapping between the two libraries and libidn2 cannot replace libidn
for the protocols which still rely on stringprep. Stringprep is an
IDNA2003 requirement but some protocols such as XMPP rely on it.

regards,
Nikos