Re: mingw-find-debuginfo.sh: objcopy strip-unneeded vs strip-debug?

On 24.08.2017 21:42, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 21:36:29 +0200, Sandro Mani wrote:
While I'm at it, my current technique for interpreting mingw stacktraces
produced without debuginfos is parsing the text and calling addr2line for
each stack frame. Is there a neater technique?
Unaware of.  But then why you do not have the debuginfos?
You deploy the application without debuginfos to save space, and then have a crash-handler which attaches gdb to the dying process, produces a stacktrace, and sends it to the developer if the user wants.
And also why ABRT
does not process it?  ABRT has its retrace server infrastructure to do exactly
that but I guess ABRT cannot handle PE32.
May well be mistaken, but doesn't ABRT work with coredumps, which you can't get on Windows systems?

when one has to do live-debugging on without debuginfos.
Why?  debuginfos are easily available from standard repos.
One example: you are at a customers to debug some misbehaviour on a crippled down Windows system where you can't place the *.debug files next to the binaries, and perhaps don't event have internet access...