Re: introducing fed-install: easy way to install packages from koji and other releases

Sorry for the delay in answering.. things have been really busy. ;)

On 08/16/2017 03:08 AM, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> Hello Fedora,
>
> for some time, I am using rawhide as my main system. I always struggled
> with installation of non-rawhide packages: installing stable kernel,
> downgrading to a non-broken package, reinstalling package which is no
> longer available in repositories...
>
> I thought that somebody had to write a tool for that. To my surprise, I
> haven't really found anything useful. So I wrote a simple tool to automate
> installation of packages from koji and other Fedora releases. The tool is
> just a wrapper on top of a single dnf call (usually just --enablerepo,
> --disablerepo magic):
>
> https://github.com/TomasTomecek/fed-install
>
> I have finally managed to open source the tool and make it a decent open
> source project including integration tests, manpage, --help, sane (python3)
> code.
>
> Right now I'm not sure if it's worth to include such tool in Fedora
> repositories and this is where I would love to get some feedback! So
> please, have a look and let me know whether it's useful or not.

One feature request and one comment...

First, one thing that would be very handy (but could perhaps just be a
dnf plugin) is to install from koji, but use signed packages (if
available). I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement in your tool,
but you might take a look if you are interested.

Secondly, I think this could indeed be handy for folks running rawhide
or branched, but I worry about people on stable releases mistakenly
using it and upgrading a chunk of their install to rawhide when they
didn't realize it would do that. Not sure how to prevent that though,
perhaps a warning in some cases?

Anyhow, will poke around with the tool and let you know any further
thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

kevin