Re: Mass package change (python2- binary package renaming)

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:04:06AM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2017, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>
> > Hello Fedora Python package maintainers!
> >
> > This is an announcement of a mass package renaming:
> > Python 2 binary packages will be renamed to python2-*.
>
> > List 1. for those packages which will be taken care of by the mass remaining
> >    Patches: https://in.waw.pl/~zbyszek/fedora/pyrename/
>
> Looking at a sample patch file, it apperas that more than a
> simple
> 	s/python-/python2-/g
> replacement is being done [1]

Right. A simple replacement like that wouldn't be backwards compatible:
at the very least it would break dependent packages and violate packaging
guidelines for Python.

> The patch in question also contains 'tampering' with the
> %description stanza:
>
> -%description
> -ATpy is a high-level Python package providing a way to manipulate tables of
> -astronomical data in a uniform way. It provides built-in support for NumPy
> -recarrays and common astronomical file/database formats (FITS, VO, HDF5,
> +%global _description\
> +ATpy is a high-level Python package providing a way to manipulate tables of\
> +astronomical data in a uniform way. It provides built-in support for NumPy\
> +recarrays and common astronomical file/database formats (FITS, VO, HDF5,\
>  and ASCII tables) with a very simple API.
>
> +%description %_description
> +
>
> ... this does not seem 'low risk', as substitutions happen
> form many fields.  It is also not mentioned in your post
When a subpackage is added, a new %description is always required.
So this is implied by "a new subpackage is added".

A lot of effort was put into making the patches minimalistic, so they
should resemble what a human would do when updating the spec file.

> Who shall be expected to repair FTB's after the patch?
No FTBs are expected. I'll rebuild all packages locally before
pushing and I'll fix any breakage caused by my changes.

Zbyszek