Re: radical suggestion for fc4 release

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 19:09 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

Oh, no.  *Bad* idea.  It's an attack on the symptom, not the problem.

If changelogs are bloating the headers yum has to download, then strip them out when generating the yum headers.

it's not bloating the headers - well not JUST that.

I'm also thinking of decreasing the useles space eaten up by them on the
cd isos.

Switching the rpm payload to bzip2 would probably give you much more space

FWIW: AFAIK, SuSE uses bzip2 payloads.

Yep, and so does PLD.

Very very very foolish imho, as rpm is rate limited by decompression,
and bzip2 uncompress is known 5-7 times slower than gzip.

BUt feel free to change Fedora Core to "Be just like SuSE" if you want.

PLD (my favorite distro, they are quiet and sensible in Poland ;-), is considering
reverting to gzip when I pointed out that bzip2 was 5-7 times slower.

Add --stats, any install, run your own benchmark.

Personally, I think LZO might be preferable to either gzip of bzip2.

And the real issue is that zlib/bzip2/LZO are known not to rsync very well.

Well, that is known for gzip fer sure, I believe also true for bzip2/LZO ...

73 de Jeff