Re: Introduction/looking for a sponsorship

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 03:54:42AM +0200, Bob Mauchin wrote:
> I intend to package it for Fedora but I have no license file. I have
> contacted the developer awhile ago and I'm still waiting for an answer.
> It's based on a Larry Wall script under Perl license so there should not be
> any issue.

Do the individual source files contain license information? Or is it
otherwise documented? See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:LicensingGuidelines#License_Text
for guidance on this.

> Also I don't know if it's compatible with the guidelines but I renamed the
> package: the original binary is named rename but was conflicting with GNU
> rename so I patched the source to add a "p" prefix. I remember reading in
> the guidelines that prefixing is an option in case of conflict but I'm not
> sure it is the approved way.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts#Binary_Name_Conflicts

Does this package exist in other distros? Doing what they do is usually
a good choice. Most ideally, you convince the upstream to switch to a
compatible name.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>