Re: radical suggestion for fc4 release

Jeff Johnson wrote:

seth vidal wrote:

Hi folks,
this is a touch silly but possibly useful and it would definitely cut
down on the old crap blocking up cdroms.

how about if we kill all rpm spec file changelog entries OLDER than 2
years.

they'll still live on in older srpms and rpms but it'd be a useful
reduction and it would make the specfiles that much smaller, along with
the rpm headers.

+1

In fact, it's silly to carry changelogs in packages, since packaging changes are
far more easily read from e-mail, or from a web-site, or just about any other
way than
rpm -q --changelog pkg

The majority of content (note that there are definite execptions) in package changelogs
is rather useless.

Here's an example from a random package, util-linux:

* Mon Jan 26 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.12pre-3
- Provides: mount losetup

* Mon Jan 26 2004 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.12pre-2
- Add multiple to /etc/pam.d/login for SELinux

* Thu Jan 15 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.12pre-1
- 2.12pre-1
- Merge mount/losetup packages into the main package (#112324)
- Lose separate

* Mon Nov 03 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-35.sel
- remove selinux code from login and use pam_selinux

* Thu Oct 30 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-34.sel
- turn on selinux

* Fri Oct 24 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-34
- Add BuildRequires: texinfo (from a bug# I don't remember)
- Fix #90588 with mountman patch142.

* Mon Oct 06 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-33
- turn off selinux

* Thu Sep 25 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-32.sel
- turn on selinux
- remove context selection

* Fri Sep 19 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-31
- Add patch140 (alldevs) to fix #101772. Printing the total size of
 all devices was deemed a lower priority than having all devices
 (e.g. /dev/ida/c0d9) displayed.

* Fri Sep 12 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-31
- turn off selinux

* Fri Sep 12 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-30.sel
- turn on selinux

* Fri Sep 05 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-28
- Fix #103004, #103954

* Fri Sep 05 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-27
- turn off selinux

* Thu Sep 04 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-26.sel
- build with selinux

* Mon Aug 11 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-25
- Use urandom instead for mkcramfs

* Tue Jul 29 2003 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-24
- add SELINUX 2.5 support

* Wed Jul 23 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> 2.11y-22
- #100433 patch

With no offense whatsoever to anyone, I humbly submit that the comments in
the changelog are of rather limited use to any non-redhat developer, and are
totally useless to any end-user.

So perhaps changelogs should be nuked entirely, and handled ouside of
package content, instead.

73 de Jeff